Friday, January 11, 2013

Homophones

I'm struggling with this little blog already. I feel like I don't have much to add to the teacher blogging world because most of what I'm doing in my classroom I get from you all. So I'm sharing something I've done in my classroom all 9 years I've been teaching.

I'm sure you ALL do this in your classes, but then again maybe not (teachers in my building comment lots about how it was such a great idea so there's that evidence).

My kids love art and coloring/drawing especially. So several weeks ago, when we were studying homophones we happened to have on the board exactly the right number of pairs of homophones as we had students in class so, like every other year we made posters of homophone pairs.

They got a piece of construction paper, folded it in half "taco" style, wrote one homophone on one side and the other in the pair, on the other half. Then they had to use each homophone correctly in a sentence and illustrate their sentence. Super easy!

They did such a great job with them I hung them out in the hall. We've gotten lots of great comments about them from teachers and students walking down the hall.

I also use this same strategy for synonyms and antonyms. Really anything would work. In have idiom posters to put up next :)

No comments: