Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Soap Box Alert

Yup, I'm doing it! Climbing up on my soap box. Please don't be offended, I'm not meaning to offend anyone!


-------soap box begins------
Please, please, please proofread your facebook and blog posts! I know we're all super busy. I know we facebook and blog on the go, but for the love of all that is good in this world... Proof your posts!

I follow over 300 blogs. Errors are bound to happen. However, there are less errors in all my other categories of blogs I read combined than in the post on a teacher blog I just read.

I will forgive one or two errors... But not 12 or 17 in one post. Yup, 17 grammatical/spelling/misuse of homophone errors in 1 single blog post (3 paragraphs or so)! We are TEACHERS! We cannot be okay with that... Can we?

I wish my brain didn't pick out all of your errors while I am reading, but it does. It places a glowing aura around each and every one of the errors. Maybe it's from 9 years of seeing/correcting errors or maybe I have some weird super power... Either way, for my sake, please proof your posts!

****Disclaimer: I also know I'm not perfect and often have errors of my own, please tell me when I do!****

Does it not drive you crazy? Do you want to know if you have errors in your post? How would you like to be told?

-----------end soap box-----------

Thanks for listening!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree I wish people would tell me when I have made a mistake or few. I actually just thought about this the other day when I read one of my post and thought "WOW, what was I doing while typing this!?!'. I know I am not perfect and spell check was invented for me, but I do know I need to do better at checking my own posts :)

Great post!

Jess

Angela Nerby said...

I totally agree! When I see a teacher blogger with spelling/grammar mistakes, it makes me question his/her ability as a teacher. I think the occasional error or two is ok (especially since I'm currently typing this with my fat thumbs on my phone!), but 17?! If it were me, I'd want to know. But I don't know how to politely point out to someone that his/her post is littered with mistakes without the blogger taking offense...

Magic Mistakes and Mayhem said...

Hahaha! Yes! ESPECIALLY there/their/their and your/you're!!!! I have to force myself not to correct my friends on facebook! The odd typo I can forgive but using completely incorrect words etc- nope! I think if I were to be told I'd just like a comment that simply said the incorrect word or sentence with a ? and a smiley face so it wasn't too confrontational. I think if I received a long post or a telling off from someone I'd be a bit affronted.

I just found your blog as I was blog hopping around and am your latest follower!

Hopefully I haven't made any mistakes! I have to admit I don't always proof read my comments but I do proof read my posts.

x Serena x
Magic Mistakes & Mayhem