Thursday, February 7, 2013

New Student and Returning Student

First if all, I'm posting this from my phone, in the car. So, I apologize for any errors I promise to fix them when I get home!

We got our first new student of the year. (This is shocking since I've lost 7 kids this year) He started on Tuesday. He seems super nice but lacks some serious self control; which I forgot how far my kiddos have come in that regard until he showed up and all of a sudden they reverted back. We spent Wednesday and today reviewing expectations with the whole class and he's already made HUGE leaps and bounds of progress.

I just have the best class. They are such amazing kids! I'm so proud of them!

I'm curious... What kind if information do you get about a new student before they start? Within the first week? Do you call their previous school/teacher? Do you have to fill out screeners?

We are also anxiously awaiting the return of our classmate who had a stroke in December. Did you even know an 8 year old could have a stroke? i sure didn't until it happened!

We have missed him terribly. Someone in my class asks about him everyday. It will be an adjustment for our class, but especially for the district. He is in a wheel chair now and has had to learn how to write with his opposite hand. I'll admit, I'm nervous. I'm unsure of what to expect and how everything will pan out. I'm also not being kept in the loop, it seems like everyone else knows more than I do. I have a really hard time with the unknown... I'm a planner!

So, any suggestions for me for classroom arrangement, procedural things, possible things to expect? I'd love to hear if you've been in a similar situation or have some ideas for me. Thanks in advance for your advice!

No comments: